This Christmas give families a home protected from disaster
Every $1 spent on preparing for an emergency saves $7 when disaster hits.
As we start to celebrate the summer sunshine, communities across the Asia Pacific region are bracing themselves for the Monsoon season. For those without safe and secure shelter, this can be a frightening time. Harsh and damaging weather conditions and seasonal rains can destroy livelihoods.
This Christmas please help families in the Asia Pacific region build resilience and prepare for emergencies like the recent devastating earthquake and tsunami in Sulawesi, Indonesia.
28 September Sulawesi Earthquake and Tsunami Numbers
- Earthquake magnitude 7.
- Over 2,000 people killed.
- At least 210,000 people have been displaced.
The Habitat team are on the ground in Sulawesi providing relief and planning with communities for reconstruction.
What we do in the face of disaster
- Provide transitional shelter to families, including materials to improve their existing shelter or to build a transitional home, materials which they can continue to use and reuse as they rebuild.
- Partner with communities, providing them with everything they need to get on with the business of rebuilding. Communities receive critical tools, such as generators and wheelbarrows to help get the recovery moving.
- Deliver Emergency Disaster Risk Reduction training to help families implement good building practices when they begin the full rebuild.