Multiple positions: Full Time, Part Time and Casual Contract positions available
Habitat for Humanity is a global not-for-profit provider of housing for low-income families in need. Habitat for Humanity works in thousands of communities around the world and has built, rehabilitated and repaired over one million homes, helping more than 35 million people. Our vision is a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live.
Due to increase demand in our services we are looking to fill multiple positions in both the Southern Highlands and Blue Mountains areas. We are seeking individuals with a combination of building/construction and supervisory/management skills to help us deliver our range of services to disadvantage individuals and families in the. Our services include the home maintenance and repair program, disaster recovery assistance, disaster resilience / preparedness programs to provide and improve housing solutions. All positions will be on a contract basis and will be offered either on a full time, part time or casual basis.
More about our work:
The programs mobilises teams of volunteers to engage in disaster recovery / resilience / preparedness and conduct landscaping, maintenance, painting and minor building repairs. This work assists families and individuals affected by natural disasters like bushfire and supports communities to be prepared for future disasters. The building maintenance work improves accommodation for people experiencing homelessness and enables resources to be redirected to other projects.
These supervisor positions are responsible for organisation of volunteer activities and supervising and leading teams of often unskilled volunteers to complete various projects and provide guidance and positive support. Building / construction skills and experience are essential. The position is also responsible for some project management, coordination, documentation and reporting. Given our vision and working with disadvantaged communities’ successful applicants for these roles will require to be fully vaccinated against Covid 19.
The supervisor undertakes a range of functions including –
- Using their building / construction skills and experience to guide, support and supervisor often unskilled volunteers.
- Organising and managing maintenance work, landscaping projects, indoor and outdoor painting, disaster recover / resilience work and small building projects
- Managing all logistics for volunteer activities, including tools, equipment, vehicle loading, food, drinks and other amenities for volunteers
- Managing tools, equipment and materials efficiently and effectively
- Drive the ute and tow the trailer
- Ensuring a safe working environment and proactively encouraging safe working practices
- Providing information and safety presentation to volunteer teams
- Taking photos at volunteer activities and preparing brief reports
- Managing volunteers and work to ensure projects are completed on schedule and to a high standard
- Other tasks to support the efficient and effective operation of the program
Essential Selection Criteria
- Building, renovation, construction and maintenance skills and experience, including ability to paint and complete building repairs and small building projects.
- Ability to support, motivate, supervise and work with up to 10 unskilled volunteers working on building maintenance and disaster recovery project creating a positive fun work environment.
- Highly motivated, positive, excellent organisation skills with very good attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Communication skills including written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Unrestricted driver’s licence, ability to drive a Ute with trailer and willingness to travel.
- Construction White Card (or willingness to obtain) and knowledge of construction site safety.
- The successful applicant will need to provide evidence of a clear criminal history and adhere to HFH’s Code of Conduct, policies and procedures including the Child Protection Policy.
- The supervisor will need a satisfactory driving history and may need to provide details of their driving history as part of the application process.
- HFHA is considering making Covid 19 vaccination mandatory for staff and this requirement may apply to this position.
How to Apply
To obtain a position description or to ask any questions about the role please email Michelle Duby, email@example.com, using the subject line: Volunteer Supervisor
When applying for this position please submit a covering letter that specifically addresses each of the selection criteria, your preferred location and type of role you are seeking: Full-Time, Part-Time or Casual Contract.
Applications Close: Closing date 15/11/21, however applications will be considered as they are received so we encourage you to submit your application as early as possible.