10th - 17th October 2020
Get your hands dirty working alongside local communities to provide strong and disaster resilient homes in the Quang Nam province. This region has some of the highest rates of poverty in the country and is regularly affected by natural disasters including typhoons, floods, whirlwinds, lightning and landslides.
Quang Nam, central province of Vietnam has a high percentage of families living in substandard housing and with extreme weather conditions. The province is regularly affected by natural disasters including typhoons, floods, whirlwinds, lightning and landslides. Most of the houses have not been built to sustain the impact of natural disasters, or are in poor condition, making them vulnerable to torrential rain or strong winds.
The families’ meagre incomes leave little savings to invest in the improvement, maintenance and safety of their homes. For the low income families living in non-sustainable housing, they remain trapped in a cycle of continuous investment for temporary repairs or renovations. Moreover, a large number of people are living in unsafe shelter and are using untreated water from wells, streams and rivers.
By volunteering for this build you will be able to help break the poverty cycle in Quang Nam and help these families have a safer present and a more sustainable future.
Saturday 10th October 2020:
Fly into DeNang International Airport where you will be transported by our team in Vietnam to your hotel. Then get to know each other over a welcome dinner.
Sunday 11 October 2020:
Discover the local sights of Hoi An with your team or join a housing project visit named Building Disaster Resilient Communities to the Tien Phuoc District in Quang Nam. This project aims to increase capacity and resilience of vulnerable communities by addressing poverty, housing, and disaster risks in this disaster-prone region. (Home for a Home Program information)
Monday 12th October 2020:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 13th October – Thursday 15th October 2020:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 16th October 2020:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 17th October 2020:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,800 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $600-$850 based on twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements – single rooms will be a higher rate
- Vietnam Visa information requirements 10th June
- Registration deadline: 10th June 2020
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 10th September 2020
- For visa application volunteers must hold a passport with at least 6 months validity from the build start date (Build Start- 10th October)
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Vietnam
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
10 June 2020
Ready to sign up for an experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!