Commonwealth Bank Family & Friends Build, Cambodia
3 - 10 November 2018
The speed of growth in Phnom Penh has brought about significant urban poverty as well as the lack of secure land and housing. Your team will be giving a family in need hope for the future by empowering them with a safe and decent home.
Your team will be working on a house constructed as part of the Grant-Based Housing for the Most Vulnerable Project in Phnom Penh.
The population of Phnom Penh has been calculated to be almost 3 million or 14 percent of the country’s total population. The speed of growth in Phnom Penh has brought increased urban poverty, as insufficiency of secure land and
appropriate housing and urban infrastructure pushes residents into precarious housing conditions. and simply cannot afford to repay microloans.
There is no social assistance system in Cambodia and no social safety net. Families in desperate situation need grant-based assistance. In Cambodia, 91 percent live in rural areas, but statistics show that while poverty is decreasing in the rural areas, it remains stable in urban areas. This poverty situation calls for specific attention. This group has low access to education with an average 3.3 years of education versus a figure of 5.1 at the national level.
Saturday 3rd November:
Meet your team in Siem Reap and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 4th November:
Discover the local sights with your team
Monday 5th November:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 6th – Thursday 8th November
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 9th November
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 10th November
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Fundraising Contribution: $1000*/$1700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $180 ($160 for volunteers who are under 18)
- Build Week Costs: $850 – $950 twin share depending on accommodation, some meals and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 8th September 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 13th October 2018
*You must be a full time student.
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Cambodia
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Ready to sign up for an experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Suncorp Family and Friends build brochure here