Kau Kaua Build
3rd July - 10th July 2021
Don’t miss out on your opportunity to not only visit a beautiful and unique location but to also make a lasting impact. The Fiji Kau Kaua Build will give a family a hand up and help create a stronger, more stable life for people with disabilities.
After the build is complete, why not rest and recover with a stay at one of Fiji’s many resorts? Treat yourself to some snorkelling, diving and fishing, or just relax by the beach. there is so much to see and do in Fiji – a Global Village is just the start.
There are more than 126,000 people living with disabilities in Fiji. Poverty and a chronic lack of appropriate facilities means many are marginalised within their communities. Many of these people would be able to live normal lives with dignity if a few simple changes were made to their living environment.
To meet the needs of people with disabilities, Habitat for Humanity will assist in the upgrading of homes to a standard that will improve the mobility and dignity. This will include installation of ramps, handrails, accessible toilets, including the installation of grab bars to allow universal access. These upgrades may extend to the improvement of some communal facilities as necessary such as door widening and footpaths with railings.
Join our Global Village Program and work alongside vulnerable families to upgrade and retrofit their homes, including access points and appropriate washing facilities. No prior experience is necessary and there is a job for every fitness level.
Saturday 3rd July 2021:
Meet your team in Suva and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 4th July 2021:
Discover the local sights with your team and meet the Habitat Fiji staff at a welcome to Fiji orientation session
Monday 5th July 2021:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 6th – Thursday 8th July 2021:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 9th July 2021:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new disability friendly home to your partner family
Saturday 10th July 2021:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
- Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,800 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $850-$950 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 3rd April 2021
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 3rd June 2021
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Fiji
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Should for any reason the Kau Kaua Build have to be postponed to a later date, we will transfer all costs and fundraising on to another experience of your choosing (including overseas) with Habitat for Humanity Australia
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
03 April 2021
Experience of a lifetime
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Kau Kaua Build brochure here.