Local Village Build, South Australia
1st - 4th October, 2020
Can’t go overseas yet but want to volunteer for a good cause? Join us in South Australia helping rebuild after the devastating bushfires
The bush fires that raged across the country over the new year period gripped the nation and had a devastating effect on so many. 25 people, and over 1 billion animals lost their lives. 10 million hectares of land, and over 2,000 homes, including whole towns, were completely destroyed.
So much was lost, but we can all play our part in the recovery. Habitat for Humanity Australia has committed to providing recovery services to fire-affected families. On our Local Village build you will be on the ground, now that the smoke has cleared, restoring hope to families and communities affected.
Australians responded quickly and with large amounts of support while the fires were burning. The dust and ash have cleared and it is still a crucial time for families who need our help. With your support as a volunteer, Habitat will help salvage and rebuild, assisting homeowners.
You will work alongside the families affected, helping clean up, salvage, sort and pile debris including rebuilding homes, sheds, outbuildings, fencing and trees. As a team we will achieve so much more in a few days than the families would have achieved in months, saving them so much time, money and worry.
Arrive by evening and check in to accommodation
Begin day one with first partner family either renovating damaged homes or clearing bush fire debris. Spend the evening at our chosen accommodation dining at a restaurant selected by Habitat.
You will day two with first partner family either renovating damaged homes or clearing bush fire debris. Spend the evening at our chosen accommodation dining at a restaurant selected by Habitat.
This is a free day where you can either depart home or venture around South Australia with some fantastic local activities e.g. National Parks, Wineries.
- Registration: $100
- Minimum Fundraising Amount: $1,000 – This amount can be fundraised. (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific region.)
- Build Week Costs: Estimated $500 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Fundraising contribution deadline: One month prior to your build
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals
- Bottled water on the build site
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local coordinator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
Not Included (Volunteers are responsible for arranging their own):
- Travel Insurance
- Additional nights accommodation
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.