The Great Lake Build, Cambodia
21st - 28th October 2021
Siem Reap remains one of the three poorest provinces in Cambodia with approximately 30 percent of households living below the provincial poverty line. Your team will be giving a family in need hope for the future by empowering them with a safe and decent home.
This project aims at improving the quality of life and health of rural residents in three districts of Siem Reap through housing, water and sanitation, community driven development, disaster risk reduction and response.
Target communities receive support through the provision of sanitation and water facilities, education and awareness raising on proper hygiene and sanitation practices, major and minor renovation of identified houses, and technical skills training to complement the housing renovations.
Cambodia has the lowest rural sanitation coverage in the region, and sustainable water access remains a key challenge, with high rates of inoperable water facilities. Siem Reap Province covers an area of approximately 12,000sq km and located 300km to the northwest of Phnom Penh.
Siem Reap remains one of the three poorest provinces in Cambodia with approximately 30 percent of households living below the provincial poverty line.
Families living in thatched houses are compelled to change the dried grass and palm leaves every two years due to its deteriorating quality which makes them more susceptible to illness and disease spread through overcrowding and lack of sanitation. All of these risks can easily destabilise people, disrupt treatment and reverse health gains.
Saturday 21st August 2021:
Meet the team and your Habitat representatives in Siem Reap and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 22nd August 2021:
Take in the local sights and visit the beautiful temples of Angkor Wat or another nominated cultural activity
Monday 23rd August 2021:
Meet your partner families and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety briefing. Get started on your first day of building
Tuesday 24th – Thursday 26th August 2021:
Full days of building with the partner family, local community and builders and team
Friday 27th August 2021:
Final day of building, handover ceremony and dedication of the new home to your partner families. Finish the day with a dinner with your new volunteer family to celebrate everything you have achieved
Saturday 28th August 2021:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other exciting destinations
- Minimum Fundraising Amount: $1,800
- This amount can be fundraised. (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $200
- Build Week Costs: $700-$900 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 21st May 2021
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 21st July 2021
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Cambodia
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
21 May 2021
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download The Great Lake Build brochure here.